Back to School Student Masks Information
Below is a reminder of our Face Mask/Covering Protocol.
- All students will be provided with a face shield, mask, and gaiter.
- Students are allowed to bring their own school appropriate face coverings from home.
- Masks will be provided to students as they get on the buses or as they enter the building on the first day of school.
While South Adams students and staff will not be required to wear a mask/face shield at all times, there will be times when masks will be required to decrease the chance of a transmission of COVID-19. Students and staff will be provided with both face masks and face shields.
Face masks/coverings will be required in the following situations where social distancing may not be possible*:
- while riding on a school bus,
- during classroom situations where instruction requires close contact
- while at the school nurse’s office, during times of transition
- during free time that is not active play and students are staying in place with limited movement while socializing with other students
Face masks/coverings will be allowed, but not required in the following situations:
- during free time when students are supervised and actively engaged in play in large areas ie outside or in the gym
- during classroom situations when seated in a socially distanced manner (seating is separated, facing forward, teacher is speaking more than six feet away)
- during times of food and drink consumption (lunch & snack times)
- during times of transition where an individual is not in close contact with another individual or group of individuals
- while an individual is alone and/or in need of private/personal time.
*As recommended by the Adams County Health Official, Dr. Michael Ainsworth.